Sylvia Wong’s game is strong.
Nah. I’m talking about her SEO game.
Sylvia Wong might be known in the lettering world as the gal behind Via Calligraphy, but what you might not know is that during the day she is a digital marketing strategist at a digital agency.
So yeah, girl knows her stuff when it comes to all things SEO.
We’ve touched on SEO in the live interviews before, but Sylvia is going to go into much greater detail in the video below. So if you’re still a little unsure of what SEO is, how it can benefit your business or anything in between, listen on up.
Ok, so to recap, let’s start out with explaining what SEO even is. SEO stands for search engine optimization.
In super easy terms: SEO is what you need to do to be found on Google.
Google’s main goal is to get you (the searcher) the BEST results based on the keywords typed into the search box. That means that the most valuable (accurate) results will pop higher up on the first page.
And yes, you want to be found on the FIRST page, because not many people looks past the first page. In fact, I would say that most people don’t even look past the first few results (unless they really haven’t found what they are looking for), so really, you want to aim for the first page AND the first few results.
With SEO your ultimate goal is getting your name/business as close to that very first spot.
Alright, so SEO is a BIG topic. Seriously, the interview could have gone into even greater details (believe it or not). So to break it down for you, here are a few KEY points/tips Sylvia covered.
- Quality > Quantity. Or in SEO verbiage, Valuable Content > Posting Often
- A blog is a great way to work in your SEO keywords. (Again, valuable content > posting often)
- Want to be found locally? Focus on LOCAL SEO. (Keywords using your area/city/province or state)
- Name all of your images properly (formatted-like-this.jpg) and use the “alt tags”
- Use keywords that are specific, not general and have a target keyword for every single one of your pages
- Blogs offer cross-linking opportunities!
- Make sure all of your pages have a title, a meta description and favicon
- Use Moz, a free tool to make sure all of your pages are focused on a specific keyword
Alright. Now this is just SCRATCHING the surface. SEO is such an important part of running a successful business and Sylvia’s insight is some of the best you can start implementing NOW to get yourself ranked higher later (because it is NOT an overnight process!).
In the interview Sylvia also goes over how to use SEO for images, why an About Page is so important, and setting up you GMB. What is a GMB? You’ll have to tune in to find out what it is and WHY it’s important that you set it up ASAP. So watch the video already!
Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy day and giving us SO MUCH valuable information Sylvia!