In this interview Stephanie Fehrenbach is back to teach us step-by-step lesson on how to paint a fall themed watercolour wreath! Trust me, you won’t beLEAF how easy it is!!
Check out the lesson, and then scroll down for some key takeaways and as well as a list of all the resources mentioned throughout the video!
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
- The difference between cold-pressed, hot-pressed and rough-pressed watercolour paper
- The difference between watercolour tubes and watercolour pucks as well as why Stephanie prefers to work with tubes
- The benefits of using short handle watercolour brushes
- What shape watercolour paint brushes are best for creating watercolour florals (plus how you use pressure to create the floral shapes!)
- How to mix liquid watercolour paints to get the perfect fall colours and how to use them to create gradients that mimic nature
- And sooo much more!!
KEY TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS LESSON:
- When it comes to watercolour, quality over quantity! Cheap watercolour paint palettes will give you cheap results, so if your budget allows for it, aim to invest in better quality paints.
- You don’t have to get a shape perfect on the first try. Use your paintbrush the same way you would a pencil and fix the share to how you want it.
- When overlapping leaves make sure that the base is fully dry first. That way you’ll prevent unwanted colour bleeding.
- The best inspiration is to see what inspires you outside! Go for a nature walk, pluck a few leaves that you love and try to recreate them!
The links below may be affiliate links where appropriate. This means that your purchase through these links may result in a few cents in payment to me, to support creating further resources like this one! That being said, I will never suggest supplies that I do not personally use and fully recommend.
TOOLS USED IN THIS VIDEO:
- Winsor & Newton Cotman Tube Watercolours
- Watercolour Paint Palette
- 140lb Cold-Pressed Arches Paper
- Princeton Snap Brushes (Round)
- HB Pencil
- Two Water Containers
- Paper Towel
RESOURCES WE MENTIONED:
- You can follow Stephanie on Instagram @stephaniefehrenbach
- Sign up for our FREE challenge Show Me Your Florals!!
- Watch Stephanie’s first lesson on watercolour basics
- Shop Stephanie’s Amazon store
- You can shop Stephanie and my watercolour courses on my website!
Like this episode?! I’d be SO GRATEFUL if you’d leave a comment on the video!