In this interview, Shinah Chang of Crooked Calligraphy is back to talk about pointed pen calligraphy! This time, she’s sharing her 5 BEST pointed pen calligraphy troubleshooting secrets!!
Check out the video, and then scroll down for my key takeaways and a list of all the tools and resources mentioned!
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
- The very BEST way to prep and clean your brand new nibs
- Which nibs are best for beginners
- How to make your nibs last longer
- The ONE thing to look for when buying a new nib
- Why your writing speed DOES matter
- AND MUCH MORE!!!
KEY TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS LESSON:
- Using SPIT (yes, spit from your mouth) is a great way to clean your band new nibs. And no, you do not have to put your nib in your mouth…Just spit on a paper towel and used it to rub off the clear coating on your nib.
- The oils from your hand can transfer to your nib when adjusting it, so wipe the nib down with a paper towel before dipping it in ink.
- If your strokes aren’t ending “squared off” (and have a little flick at the end), you’re going too fast! Slow down and end your strokes intentionally.
- If your strokes are messy, it’s likely that your nib is not properly positioned! Try adjusting your nib angle very slightly so that it’s facing the ceiling.
TOOLS USED IN THIS VIDEO:
RESOURCES WE MENTIONED:
- Check out more of Shinah’s work on at @crookedcalligraphy on Instagram or visit her website!
- Are you completely new to pointed pen calligraphy? Here is Shinah’s first Artist Interview where she talks all about How To Get Started With Pointed Pen Calligraphy!
- Get Shinah’s FREE guide for getting started with pointed pen calligraphy here!
Like this episode?! I’d be SO GRATEFUL if you’d leave a comment on the video!