In this interview, Sarah Simon of @themintgardener shows us a step by step tutorial on how you can incorporate floral line drawings and watercolour artwork! And the best part? She demonstrates with not one but TWO projects you can try!
Check out the video for the lesson, and then scroll down for my key takeaways and a list of all the resources and tools mentioned!
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
- What type of paper you should be using when working with watercolours AND ink
- How you can replace your watercolour paints for gouache to achieve certain effects within your piece
- How to correct any accidental watercolour mistakes
- What makes a “round” brush round
- How to achieve “the magic sauce” paint consistency
- And so many more tips and tricks!
KEY TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS LESSON:
- If you draw in ink before painting, the lines will be less bold than when you draw the lines after (on top of) the watercolour.
- To get “the magic sauce” consistency, you want to combine 80% water to only 20% paint.
- Pull away from your artwork every once in a while to make sure that your piece is even. If you concentrate too much in one area, you run the risk of the final piece looking disproportionate.
TOOLS USED IN THIS VIDEO:
The links below may be affiliate links where appropriate. This means that your purchase through these links may result in a few cents in payment to me, to support creating further resources like this one! That being said, I will never suggest supplies that I do not personally use and fully recommend.
- Winsor and Newton Cotman Watercolour Paints
- Arteza Gouache
- Micron Pens
- Winsor and Newton Micro-Line Pens
- Hahnemühle Hot Press Paper
- Canson Cold Pressed Watercolour Paper
- TPL Studio Round Brushes
- Wonder Forest Watercolour Brushes
- Washi Tape
- Artgum Eraser
RESOURCES WE MENTIONED:
- You can follow Sarah on Instagram at @themintgardener
- Pre-order your copy of Sarah’s book, Modern Watercolor Botanicals: A Creative Workshop in Watercolor, Gouache, & Ink
Like this episode?! I’d be SO GRATEFUL if you’d leave a comment on the video!