In this interview, Shelly Kim shows us the EASIEST ways you can digitize your lettering! And if you thought there was just one “proper” way, you’d be wrong!
Check out the video for yourself and then scroll down for my key takeaways and a list of all the resources we mentioned!
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to photograph your lettering using just your mobile device’s standard camera
- How to edit your photo to get the best results
- The benefits of creating vector files of your lettering
- The quickest way to use Adobe Illustrator to create digital files
- How to recolour your lettering using Silhouette Studio
- Why you shouldn’t completely edit your lettering “to perfection”
KEY TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS LESSON:
- Always use a BLACK brush pen on white paper to ensure the most contrast possible (it’ll help you in the digitizing process!)
- There is beauty in imperfections! Just because you’re creating digital work, does not mean that it has to be “perfect”. Imperfections reflect the fact that your lettering was once HAND LETTERED!!
- You don’t need the fancy (and expensive) tools to create digital files. Use what you have at your disposal!
TOOLS USED IN THIS VIDEO:
The links below may be affiliate links where appropriate. This means that your purchase through these links may result in a few cents in payment to me, to support creating further resources like this one! That being said, I will never suggest supplies that I do not personally use and fully recommend.
- Apple iPad with Apple Pencil
- Procreate App
- Regular white paper
- Your favourite brush pen (OR you can check out my Supplies Guide here for all of my favourite tools!)
- Smart Phone with camera
- Adobe Illustrator
- Silhouette Studio
RESOURCES WE MENTIONED:
- Shelly’s new book, “Digital Hand Lettering and Modern Calligraphy“
- Follow @lettersbyshells on Instagram
- Learn the basics of iPad Lettering with Loveleigh Loops!
Like this episode?! I’d be SO GRATEFUL if you’d leave a comment on the video!