In this week’s interview, I chat with Alli K about…FLORALS, of course!
Check out the video, and then scroll down for my key takeaways and a list of all the resources we mentioned!
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to break down EVERY single flower to make it easier to draw
- Why you shouldn’t over think the details
- How to draw a flower from the perspective of a side view
- What an anchor petal is and why you need to draw them first
- How to make elements pop
- Why you should have “gaps” in your flowers
- What “c” and “s” curves are
KEY TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS LESSON:
- Break down ALL flowers in their most simple forms: “Look at every little part first instead of trying to look at the whole flower.”
- If you want to make an element pop, add some “scribbles” (or shading) along the edges to add dimension.
- Keep the centre of your flower in proportion to the scale of the flower. If it looks off, you can always enlarge the centre . or add petals.
- ADD GAPS!
TOOLS USED IN THIS VIDEO:
- A piece of paper
- Any marker
RESOURCES WE MENTIONED:
- Want to learn more from Alli? Be sure to follow her on Instagram at @allikdesign and check out her website.
- Get Alli’s book, Florals by Hand and her new colouring book Bloom (if by some miracle you haven’t already!)
- Find the High/Low app here.
Like this episode?! I’d be SO GRATEFUL if you’d leave a comment on the video!
Great info & video!